There is life beyond root vegetables during winter! Mostly in the form of the brassica family, which brings us a variety of cabbages as well as cauliflowers and some broccoli too. Depending on where you live you might also be able to get hold of the Mediterranean cardoon, a treat not to be missed!
Just as with the last two posts about seasonal produce, the dates listed are for the UK and could be different in other places.
- broccoli: available mostly until November, but some varieties can be grown found well into March
- Brussel sprouts: available October to March
- cabbages: available year round, some varieties only available during winter
- cardoon: available September to March
- cauliflower: available December to April
- celery: available July to February
- chicory (all varieties, including radicchio, endive, and escarole): available year round but sweeter January to march
- kale: available September to February
- leeks: available September to March
- winter squash: available October to March
Click here to read all the posts in the oats series.