I think cabbage, and cabbage soup in particular, have a unfounded bad reputation. Yeah, it can be a bit smelly when cooked. But covered properly it should’t be too much of an issue.
If you’re rushed on time, you can make it in a pressure cooker, brown all the veggies in there and then keep under pressure for 15 minutes. Alternatively if you’d rather cook ahead of time, you can cook it in a slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low and 3-4 on high.
Spicy cabbage soup
- 300 grams celery
- 600 grams potatoes
- 200 grams leeks
- 500 grams carrots
- 800 grams cabbage
- 1 head garlic
- 1 can chickpeas (liquid included)
- 1 litre stock (or 1 lite of water and 2 stock cubes)
- 1 to 4 teaspoons chilli flakes (depending on how spicy you want the soup)
- salt to taste
- oil for sautéing (or water, or stock)
- chop all the vegetables (they can be different sizes) and mince the garlic
- if you have a pot large enough, sauté all the vegetables and garlic together until the leeks start to brown. If they don’t all fit in do a first batch with the celery, potatoes, leeks, carrots and garlic and a second one with the cabbage
- add the can of chickpeas, the stock and the chilli flakes
- simmer until the carrots are soft
- add salt to taste
Click here to read all the posts in the oats series.